R.I.S.E. (Responsibility, Independence, and Study Skills in Education) is a before school program at San Elijo Middle School grades 6-8 and is staffed by our own teachers here at SEMS.
Program Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 7:10am to 7:57am.
Program Schedule: Session #1 9/25 – 11/1
Session #2 11/6 – 12/20
Session #3 1/15 – 2/21
Session #4 2/26 – 4/11
Program Location: Varies
Contact: Your student’s Counselor for an application. Space is limited.
· RISE is an intervention program to assist students with study skills and academic habit training.
· Students are recommended by teachers, counselors, and parents.
· This program is added to the student’s schedule and attendance is taken.
o Students should arrive on time.
o If a student is unable to attend RISE, parents need to contact the attendance office.
· This is not a Homework Club
· Students are expected to follow school rules while attending program
· Students must stay the entire time
· The program is based on AVID strategies.
· How to create and maintain an organized binder.
· Classroom and school expectations.
· How to find and make up missing work.
· Study skills and habits.
· Respect for others and self.
· How to work cooperatively.
· Desire to succeed
· Week 1 - Orientation
o Be introduced to the group, program, and teacher
o Learn basic information about SEMS
o Learn about expectations and policies of middle school vs. elementary
o Be introduced to gradebook, SEMS website, AR/AM, Moddle, etc.
· Week 2 - Organization
o Obtain recommended (necessary) supplies (as agreed upon by 6th grade teachers)
o Learn how to organize a binder
o Learn how to find and document assignments from each teacher
o Learn strategies for staying on top of workload
· Week 3 - Study Skills
o Learn how to overcome homework challenges
o Learn critical reading strategies
o Learn test-taking strategies
o Learn how to take Cornell notes
o Find out where to obtain support for specific needs
· Week 4 - Motivation
o Learn about goal setting
o Create action plans
o Participate in team building
o Participate in confidence building
· Week 5 - Independent Practice
o Work each day with one aspect of what we've learned in order to garner success
· Week 6 - Reflection
o Hold a Socratic Seminar on what we've learned
o Conference with teacher about success over the grading period
o Share with class what has been learned
o Self-assess growth over the grading period